争议 | 马里兰大学留学生演讲正中了美国人对中国的偏见?

  • May 24, 2017
  • |

   关注MentorX学在蔓藤,赢在职场!


5月21日,马里兰大学毕业生Yang Shuping的毕业演讲掀起了巨大的争议,让坐在台下的中国留学生感到非常尴尬和不愉快。


演讲围绕两点:


1.美国的空气是多么的“香甜,”而中国的空气是多么的不堪。


2. 只有美国才有freedom和democracy。在美国她可以想做啥做啥,想说啥说啥。


原文如下

?

Good afternoon faculty students parents and friends.

各位家长、同学、朋友们,下午好!


I am truly honored and grateful to speak at the commencement for the University of Maryland, Class of 2017.

我十分荣幸,也很感激能够在马里兰大学2017届毕业典礼上发言。


People often ask me: Why did you come to the University of Maryland?

人们经常问我:为什么你选择来马里兰大学?


I always answer: Fresh air.

我总是回答:新鲜的空气


Five years ago, as I step off the plane from China, and left the terminal at Dallas Airport. I was ready to put on one of my five face masks, but when I took my first breath of American air. I put my mask away.

五年前,我从中国来到美国,出了达拉斯机场航站楼,呼吸到在美国的第一口空气后,我就丢掉了正准备戴上的五层口罩。


The air was so sweet and fresh, and oddly luxurious.

这里的空气是如此的香甜和新鲜,尽管这听起来奇怪,但对我来说这很奢侈。


I was surprised by this. I grew up in a city in China, where I had to wear a

face mask every time I went outside, otherwise, I might get sick.

我大感意外。我在中国的都市中长大,每次外出都必须戴口罩,不然的话,我可能会生病。


However, the moment I inhaled and exhaled outside the airport.

所以,当我在机场外面呼吸到第一口空气的时候,


I felt free.

然而,在机场外深呼吸的那一刻,我感到了自由。


No more fog on my glasses, no more difficult breathing, no more suppression.Every breath was a delight.

不再有蒙在眼镜上的浓雾,不再有呼吸困难,不再有压抑的生活。每一口呼吸都是一种享受和愉悦。


As I stand here today, I cannot help, but recall that feeling of freedom.

今天我站在这里,我情不自禁地回忆起这种自由的感觉。


At the University of Maryland, I assume feel another kind of fresh air for which I will be forever grateful — the fresh air of free speech.

在马里兰大学,我还感到了另一种意义上的自由,一种我会永远感激的自由——言论自由。


Before I came to United States, I learned in history class about the Declaration of Independence, but these words had no meaning to me— Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.

在来美国之前,我在历史课上学到了美国独立宣言,那时独立宣言的内容——生命,自由和对自由的追求对我来说没有实际的意义


I was merely memorizing the words to get good grades.

我单纯地记下这些词,仅仅为了拿个高分。


These words sounded so strange, so abstract and so foreign to me, until I came to University of Maryland.

当时那些字句对我来说如此陌生,抽象,直到我来到了马里兰大学。


I have leaned the right to freely express oneself is sacred in American.

我学到了,在美国,自由表达是一项神圣的权利。


Each day in Maryland, I was encouraged to express my opinions on controversial issues.

在马里兰的每一天,我都被激励着在有争议的问题上发表自己的意见。


I could challenge a statement made by my instructor. I could even rate my professors online.

我可以质疑导师的意见,我也可以在线上给老师评分。


But nothing prepared me for the culture shock I experienced when I watched a university production of the play— Twilight: Los Angeles.

不过这些都不能和我第一次看到校内演出的戏剧《黄昏:洛杉矶》(Twilight: Los Angeles)时感受到的文化冲击相比。


Twilight is a play by Anna Deavere Smith about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots

这是Anna Deavere Smith撰写的关于1992年洛杉矶暴乱的一部剧。


The riots followed acquittal of four Los Angeles police officers in the videotaped arrest and beating of Rodney King.

那次暴动的导火线为当地陪审团宣判四名被控“使用过当武力”殴打Rodney King的警察无罪释放。


For six days, the city was in chaos as citizens took to the streets.

6天内,人们走上街头抗议,城市陷入混乱。


In Twilight, the student actors were openly talking about racism, sexism and politics.

在这部剧里,学生演员公开地讨论种族歧视,性别歧视和政治话题。


I was shocked, I never saw such topic could be discussed openly.

我很惊讶,我从来不曾想过这样的话题可以被公开讨论。


The play was my first taste of political storytelling, one that makes the audience think critically.

这部剧是我第一次接触和政治有关的戏剧内容,它让观众辩证地思考。


I have always had a burning desire to tell these kinds of stories, but I was convinced that only authorities on the narrative, only authorities could define the truth.

一直以来,我都很渴望去讲述这样的故事,不过我曾相信只有权威的人才有资格讲述,只有权威部门才能界定事实。


However, the opportunity to immerse myself in the diverse community at the University of Maryland exposed me to various, many different perspectives on truth.

但是,沉浸在马里兰大学这种多远的文化中让我有机会能够接触不同的、多样的视角,去看待事实。


I soon realized that here I have the opportunity to speak freely.

我很快意识到了在这里我有自由发声的机会。


My voice matters.

Your voice matters.

Our voices matter.

我的声音很重要。

你的声音很重要。

我们的声音都很重要。


Civil engagement is not a task just for politicians.

公民参与不仅仅是政治家的任务。


I have witnessed this when I saw my fellow students marching in Washington DC, voting in the presidential election and raising money for support various causes.

我亲眼见到了我的同学们参与在华盛顿特区的游行,参与总统投票,为了各种各样的原因募集资金。


I have seen that everyone has a right to participate and advocate for change.

我见证了每个人都有参与、推进改革的权利。


I used to believe that one individual participation could not make a difference, but here we are, United Terps.

我曾以为一个人的能力也许不能改变什么,但是我们在这片土地上,这里是美国。


Together, we can push our society to be more just open and peaceful.

在这里,我们可以一起推动我们的社会发展,让它变得更开明和平和。


Class of 2017, we are graduating from a university that embraces a liberal arts education that nurtures us to think critically, and also to care and feel for humanity.

2017届的同学们,我们从一所拥抱人文教育、重视思辨能力、关注人文主义的大学毕业了。


We are equipped with the knowledge of various disciplines and we are ready to face to the challenges of our society.

我们学习了不同学科的知识,并准备好面对社会的挑战。


Some of us may go to graduate school, some us may step into professions and some of us may begin a journey of exploration.

我们中的有些人也许会继续读研究生,有的人会开启自己的职业生涯,有些人会开始求索的历程。


But no matter what we do, remember, democracy and free speech should not be taken for granted.

不过无论我们做什么,记住,民主和言论自由不是简简单单就得到的。


Democracy and freedom are the fresh air that is worth fighting for.

民主与自由是值得我们为之奋斗的、至关重要的新鲜的空气。


Freedom is oxygen. Freedom is passion. Freedom is love.

自由是氧气,自由是热情,自由是爱。


And as a French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre once said: freedom is a choice, our future is dependent on the choices we make today and tomorrow.

就像法国哲学家萨特曾经说的:自由是一种选择,我们的未来就取决于我们在今天做的选择。


We are all playwrights of the next chapters of our lives. Together, we right the human history.

我们为自己的人生写下下一篇章,我们一起,写下人类的历史。


My friends, enjoy the fresh air and never let it go.

我的朋友们,享受这里的新鲜空气,不要放手。


Thank you.

谢谢。



对此,很多网友表示已经看不下去了,纷纷出来表态。

“笑死我了,我对马里兰大学表示担忧。通过4年的学习就培养出了这样的人,”偏见和模板化印象,”你们应该为此感到羞愧。


“我为她在整个学校面前如此羞辱我的祖国感到非常不愉快。中国是一个这么棒的发展中国家。我为我自己是一个中国人感到自豪和骄傲。我不明白她在说什么。她就是个失败的人。”


(小编笑了)



小编觉得这位同学的演讲非常的以偏概全。中国部分的城市的空气质量是不佳,但是来自昆明的同学表示,他们那里的空气质量也是杠杠的。现在许多城市都在大力减轻空气污染。我们在努力。而且在历史发展的进程中,这是工业发展带来的一个无法避免的点。况且同学,你怎么不说美国的自来水污染呢?


说到自由。在特朗普总统当选之前,几乎所有支持他的人的声音在主流媒体上都没有被听到。想问言论自由去哪里了?公正去哪里了?况且在美国,现在“政治正确”强调的越来越严重。那所谓的”政治正确“ 是言论自由?


小编记得,一个刚认识的美国朋友问我的第一个问题是“你们国家都是腐败吧?”当时的震惊。


小编记得,一个认识了很久的美国朋友跟我谈到中国时印象就是“no human rights, corruption, pollution。” 我的国家被这样记得也是很心痛了。



这个世界并不存在完美的乌托邦。每个国家都有美好的一面也有阴暗的一面。留学生去美国同时也是一种文化交流。我们为的就是其他国家的小伙伴打破那些固有的观念,对中国有一个全新的认识。希望大家好好学习,展现出我们的优秀,而不是一味的贬低自己祖国。



All comments(0)

No comments yet

美国咨询
中国咨询
扫码回复【白皮书】
免费领取2018年中国留学生在美就业白皮书
扫码领取白皮书